Welcome!

Please comment (it makes me feel cool) on blogs or photos, or just say hello! I really like comments -- it's the only way I know someone's reading this!

You can subscribe on the left to have emails sent to you when new posts are added.

Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, February 21, 2011

Oh, Kindergarten Angst?

Lindsay's parents found this note recently. Her mom scanned it and emailed it to me. 
I was floored.

Really?

He's six. Come on.

I wondered what could have triggered this note. 
I wondered if maybe a classroom assistant helped him come up with the wording? 
I wondered if he even wrote this at all?
I wondered if this was something to worry about.

So, I decided to ask. Luckily, he's still young enough that he doesn't question how we know things. He doesn't mind that Lindsay's parents saw the note or that they told me about it (he doesn't know she actually sent a copy of it to me). 

Me: So, do you remember a note you wrote to Lindsay a while ago?
Jacob: Yes. And I wrote another one today.
Me: Oh. What did it say?
Jacob: I love you Lindsay.
Me: What did the one before say?
Jacob: It said, "Lindsay, I know that sometimes you get upset but I want you to know I love you." (He actually said it exactly the way he'd written it weeks before.)
Me: Why did you write that?
Jacob: Just because.
Me: Did you get into a fight?
Jacob: Well, sometimes we fight.
Me: A lot?
Jacob: No. It's just... well, sometimes we argue about who's right and who's wrong.
Me: Oh. And then she gets upset?
Jacob: Well, it's just how she is. 
Me: She gets upset?
Jacob: It's just how things are, Mom. 
Me: Um, okay. Did anyone help you with the note?
Jacob: No. I just wrote it. 
Me: Oh. Well, it was nice of you to care about her feelings.
Jacob: Yeah.
Me: (Hoping to stress the whole friend thing instead of the boyfriend thing) I'm glad you're a good friend.

And then I didn't really know what else to say. The note just sounds so grown up! And really, I don't know where this comes from. He doesn't see this modeled at home. Greg and I don't get into fights. We don't argue in front of the kids. If Greg writes me sweet notes, Jacob doesn't ever see them. 

This one's going to keep us on our toes.

2 comments:

Aunt Sarah said...

He gets it from me. I'm not sure how, but he does. I'm...well...I'm a not writer. There--I've said it.

Dumb Aunt Sarah said...

That should be "note writer"...but I kind of like the "not writer" declaration as well. How do you delete these damn things?????