Welcome!

Please comment (it makes me feel cool) on blogs or photos, or just say hello! I really like comments -- it's the only way I know someone's reading this!

You can subscribe on the left to have emails sent to you when new posts are added.

Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Jacob's Career Plan





Our car's been broken for a week, so Greg's been driving me to work. 

Jacob: So, if they can't fix the car will we buy a new one or just keep doing the same thing? 

Me: Probably keep doing the same thing. 

Jacob: Why wouldn't we buy a new one? 

Me: They're expensive. 

Jacob: Well, I have an idea. We should wait a few days, make a lot of money, and then buy one! 

Me: Um, great idea, but how would we make the money? 

Jacob: Well, you could get a different job, like maybe be a doctor!

Me: Well, that takes a long time. You have to go to school for a long time, then train for a long time, then practice for a long time...

Jacob: Well, when I grow up, I want to be a doctor or... what are the people who tell you what the laws are and go to court?

Me: Lawyers.

Jacob: I want to be a doctor or a lawyer.

Me: Um, how did you decide that? (Naively thinking my precious 5-year-old wants to help people or loves school...)

Jacob: They make a lot of money.

Oh. 

If that doesn't work out, he could always end up being a translator... 

The other night when I was saying goodnight to Jacob, he said:

Jacob: Mom, do I have to be [mumble, mumble, mumble]?

Me: What?


Jacob: Mom, do I have to be [mumble, mumble, mumble]?

Me: What?

Jacob: Mom, do I have to be [mumble, mumble, mumble]?

Me: Jake, I don't understand you. 

Jacob: Mom, do I have to be [mumble, mumble, mumble]?

Me: I have no idea what you're saying (he kept trailing off at the end).

Jacob: I'm speaking French. Do. I. Have. To. Be. Neuf. To. Go. To. Kings. Island.

The day before, Greg had told him we'd probably wait until he's 8 or 9 to go to an amusement park, so he's big enough to ride most of the rides. And silly me, I never thought to listen for French words from my just-getting-out-of-preschool-hasn't-even-started-kindergarten-yet child.

No comments: