Have you heard of Silly Bandz? Long before they appeared in MY house I'd heard of them, and I was grateful Jacob hadn't discovered them. And then they came. One day home with a band from the treasure box at school... a few days later, another one... and so it started.
Jacob has become obsessed with them. He kept asking to get some, and I kept saying no. As long as he had one from school, that was enough. On our back to school shopping day, he was crazy over a t-shirt because it had a pack of silly bandz attached. Really? I explained that we don't choose t-shirts based on what's with them. He didn't get it and then tried to convince me that the shirt was really cool, too. We didn't buy it.
We headed to the mall next, but it was only 9 so the stores weren't open yet. A couple of lonely kiosks were open, including one exclusively for silly bandz. Buy two packs and get one free! So... we did it. Jacob carefully chose his packs. I told him he couldn't open them until we got home, but he did get to hold them in the car (unopened) after a couple hours of shopping. As we drove home, Jacob asked if he got to open them right when we got home. I said no, he'd have to eat lunch first. So... as I carried in groceries (we made another stop on the way home), he opened the first pack on the couch. So... away they went. He kept asking me about them, and I finally told him he wouldn't get them that day if he asked again. So he tried more roundabout ways of asking... just mentioning them, but not actually saying when.
I let him have a pack when Greg got home, and let him know he'd just have one pack for a while. We'd go through one pack at a time, and we'd give him more when his others ran out (they're even less durable than rubber bands).
The next morning, Jacob apparently took them from our bedroom before we woke up. We found him later in the morning with his arms covered in silly bandz. And, so away they went. For good. Yeah... we're mean.

No comments:
Post a Comment