Welcome!

Please comment (it makes me feel cool) on blogs or photos, or just say hello! I really like comments -- it's the only way I know someone's reading this!

You can subscribe on the left to have emails sent to you when new posts are added.

Thanks for stopping by!

Monday, June 1, 2009

Karate Tournament!

(Pictures will be added soon... possibly a video!)

On Saturday, Jacob had his first karate tournament. Four Little Ninjas showed up, and they divided them into two groups -- beginners and advanced. Jacob was in the beginner group.

The tournament consisted of a timed obstacle course and a Form presentation (they present themselves to the judges and demonstrate a routine).

Jacob won the Form presentation and placed second (out of two) in the obstacle course. He was not happy about coming in second.

We explained (for several minutes) that second place is good. We told him he had done a great job and that we were very proud of him. We also told him you can't win every time, and that it was great that he and Caden had both been able to get 1st place one time and 2nd place the other time.

Jacob: "But I don't like losing."

We kept explaining that not coming in first doesn't mean you didn't do a good job (apologies for the awkwardly worded sentence).

I then told Jacob he needed to be a good sport. I said he should be happy for Caden for winning. I said, "When someone beats you, you need to say, 'Good job' and be happy for them."

Jacob thought about this for a minute.

Jacob: "I am happy for Caden getting second place for Form."

No comments: